Sunday, March 8, 2015

Happy Daylight Savings Time!!

pieced quilt by Nancy Tanguay, CT, 2014
based on "Bensonhurst Blooms", a Linda Hahn design
When I woke up this morning, the sun wasn't up yet, but I knew it would be here an hour later because of Daylight Savings Time.

"Hooray!" I thought. "We get to see more sun!" 

I love this time of year. Cherry blossoms are popping open, and bright yellow forsythia is beginning to light up the landscape. It's been a very mild winter here in Portland, with many cloudless, sunny days. Things are going well. I'm busy, energized from my visit to Austin a couple weeks ago, and having so much fun with all my little projects...and big ones, too!

Awake at the wrong hour according to the clock, and ready to leap out of bed and have a great day, the first thing I saw today was a message from a friend on Facebook who seemed unhappy about Daylight Savings Time. I kept scrolling, and other people were also unhappy about the time change, and I wondered.

Should I be unhappy, too? 
Am I the only one whose day wasn't ruined? 

"Maybe a quilt will help," I thought. This sunny, pictorial landscape quilt at the top of the page is one of the 70 quilts in my soon-to-be-released book, "New York Beauty, Quilts from the Volckening Collection", which is being published by Quiltmania in France. Nancy Tanguay of Warren, Connecticut made it from memory after seeing a picture of the inspiration, "Bensonhurst Blooms" by Linda Hahn.


Happy Daylight Savings Time!

After glancing quickly at Facebook again, I thought we may need a double-shot of happy quilts today. Here is one I finished in 2013. It is called "Wild-Eyed Susans" and is wool, about 24" square, and originated as a guild challenge quilt for the Northwest Quilters "Flower Power" challenge. Such a happy little quilt!

It's a little after 6:00AM here in Portland, and we are still eagerly awaiting daybreak...but it's sunny here at Wonkyworld. Happy Daylight Savings Time!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, now I feel a little bit better. I just think the whole thing is silly, let the seasons be the seasons. But yeah, I'm gonna spend the day in my sewing room and enjoy that lasted hour of daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DST too, but I'm in the part of the world where it is just about over. Not looking forward to it ending in 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete