Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vintage Revisited at Latimer Quilt and Textile Center


On Wednesday, I went over to Latimer Quilt and Textile Center, in Tillamook, Oregon, to see Mary Kerr's superb exhibit, Vintage Revisited. Been looking forward to it for a long time. I had proposed the exhibit to the Latimer Board back in 2011, after meeting Mary in Paducah. Finally, we would get to see the Vintage Revisited quilts in person! There is a reception at Latimer tomorrow, Sunday, January 13th, from noon to 4 p.m., and the show will run until March 2nd. The reception and display will also include "Everything Old is New Again" challenge quilts, and the unveiling of the 2013 raffle quilt.

"A Pennsylvania Sampler" by Barb Garrett
When I got there, I learned there were enough quilts for two shows. Latimer has a modestly-sized gallery. The space once served as an auditorium in the small, rural Maple Leaf Elementary School. So, the quilts may be swapped after one month, giving us a whole new display in the second month of the exhibit. There were Board members discussing the idea when I was there, and I liked it. Swapping the quilts to create a second part of the exhibit would give me another good reason to get back to Latimer next month.



Now that I've traveled around to some of the bigger quilt events and met several of the artists, I have to say, the women behind Vintage Revisited are amazing, talented, and worthy of tremendous respect. The group maintains a strong bond, a sisterhood. Many of them are involved with the national quilting organizations, and travel to events where they reunite. I met Mary and Sue Reich in Paducah in 2011, I met Lisa Ellis when she spoke at the Northwest Quilters Guild last year, and several others were in Lincoln, at the American Quilt Study Group Seminar.

"Morris in the Garden" by Sue Reich
Naturally, I was thrilled to see quilts by people I've met: Barb Garrett, Sue Reich, Bonnie Dwyer, Lisa Ellis, Karen Dever, and of course, Mary...just to name a few off the top of my head. All of the quilts were made by taking pieces of antique and vintage quilts and blocks, and using them to create new and original works of art. A wonderful exhibit, and inspirational book. For more information about Latimer Quilt and Textile center, click here. For details about Vintage Revisited, including where to get the book, click here.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could see these beauties in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with Mary on this project was lots of fun! I feel honored to have my quilts be a part of the book and this traveling exhibit. Thanks, Bill, for the publicity.
    Bonnie Dwyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. It means a lot to see how the exhibit looks in a venue. This is a wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete