Monday, January 7, 2013

Little Boo


I have to say goodbye to Little Boo today, my constant companion since 1997. I'll never forget the first time I held her in my arms. They called her Sammy. She was so shy, she buried her face in my arms. When I was lucky enough to get a peek at her face, it melted my heart. She was all black with a black nose and black whiskers, green eyes, a beautiful face, it was love at first sight. I started calling her Sammy Boo because she often had a surprised look. She hardly ever spoke. Soon, I just called her Boo. We drove across the country together when I moved from New Jersey to Oregon in 1998.


Boo lived to be about 18 or 19 years old, nobody knows for sure. When I adopted her, she was full grown and had been in at least two other homes. I swore she would never need another home. She had health problems for a number of years, but suddenly took a turn for the worse last week, when she developed breathing problems, stopped eating, and stopped moving around.


Since she started having seizures about three or four years ago, she's been on medication, and became the most affectionate cat I'd ever known. For many years, she was the hide-under-the-bed cat, and that tendency became the norm when I had another cat, a male alpha, for several of those years.

 
Boo and I have been through a lot together. When I first moved into my house 12 years ago, I wanted her to become an outdoor cat, so I pushed her out the door. She didn't want to go. I didn't see her again for a week. I was absolutely distraught the whole time she was missing, blaming myself for pushing her out the door, but one day she just reappeared from under the back deck, her little black face covered with cobwebs. I would never push her out the door again.


She was by my side when the other cat, Shadow, who came to us in 1999, went out one night in 2009, and never returned.


In recent years, we've been inseparable. I nursed her through many seizures, and in the good times she would show her affection by nuzzling my face and insisting on getting under the covers with me at night. She loved my cooking, and wouldn't leave me alone when I made something she wanted to taste, which was almost nightly. But since she was on a restricted diet, she really had to turn on her charm to get the smallest taste. Berry yogurt was one of her favorite things. I wanted to get her some today, but I know she wouldn't have budged, even for her favorite treat.


A few years ago, I bought this Black Cat Crazy Quilt from Stella Rubin. The cat reminded me very much of Boo, and I thought it would be something to remember her by after she was gone. While we were waiting to go for our last visit to the vet, I got out the quilt and let her rest on it. I just wanted to know she had touched it. I started taking pictures. Of course, I was a mess, but the most amazing thing happened. I noticed Boo was crying, too. If you click on the last picture, you'll see what I'm talking about.


I knew I'd miss my sweet Little Boo, the most humble, loving cat I've ever known. Now I know she'll miss me, too.

43 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. They are so small but leave a huge hole in your heart and soul when they go. I lost my Karma last spring after 18 years and my fingers can still feel that little head under silky fur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Bill. I know how much it hurts.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your heart is hurting. she is in the best place, with God and all the other kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching tribute to you Little Boo. How wonderful that you two found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to love and lose a cat. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your Boo. Your tribute has me in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. Boo looks a lot like my Beau. He was sick when I adopted him from the shelter. After 3 years, he's finally looking healthy. His sister ran out the door one night and I never found her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bill, my heart is so sad for you today.
    This day must seem endless and at the same time all too short for you.
    Such a sweet tribute to Little Boo.
    Y'all are not far from my thoughts since we talked last night.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss... our fur-kids do wrap themselves around our hearts. Know that Boo and Shadow will be waiting for you with purrs and snuggles on the other side of the Bridge. With regards and love, Anna Paws

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad day Bill. Your Boo was special. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. They are family. Hope a new kitty will find there way into your home and heart. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww :( I'm so very sorry about your loss. There are those extra special fur friends that touch us profoundly and are so very hard to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, now we are all crying. It's hard to lose them, especially when they are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your loss, Bill. Your sweet little Boo was just like my Danger, all black and lovey-dovey. I'm so glad you have lots of photos of Boo.....that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you had to say good bye to Boo. I think it is pretty cool you have a quilt to remind you of Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. goodbye, sweetie pie. so hard to go through, you have my deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss Bill. They leave such a hole in your heart . It's wonderful that you have such lovely memories and a quilt to remind you of Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started crying as soon as I saw the title. I'm so, so sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a companion she was and what a hole she left in your heart. I'm so sorry for your loss. Four legged fur balls do this to us if we allow ourselves to love them and she was one loved cat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. May my Bubbles and your Boo be playing on the rainbow bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is hard to say good bye to an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Little Boo and you are in my thoughts. I gave my old cats Brownie and Goldie and extra hug...

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to hear about Boo. I know it hurts. She had a good long life with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very sorry. I type this with a cat on my bed nudging me because he knows I am upset but not why. We love them so much and they give so much in return.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a very special story of your lovely Boo. She was a wonderful cat watching over you for all those years. Thank you for sharing all this with us....They are such beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, everyone. Boo would be so impressed by all of you. I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Boo is cavorting with so many friends now, including our Stymie. And you have that very charming black cat quilt to nestle under. Thinking of you, WL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bill:

    I am so sorry and I know (only too well) how tough it is to lose a furry friend. I'm sad for you.

    Debbie Myers

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such an incredibly sweet homage to your dear Boo, Bill. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how that feels and send a huge hug your way. Thank you so much for sharing your sweet kitty and strong bond with us. I love how you found the perfect quilt to remember her by and were able to photograph her on it. Sending kisses up to heaven to her . . .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Bill-while I want to say "thanks for sharing" I'm tearing up and can hardly see the keyboard. Man, when we have to "do the right thing" and let our four-footed buddies go to ease their pain, I hate being a responsible grown-up. The picture of Boo on the quilt really got to me--all my cat friends who have passed on are also wrapped in quilts. That might shock some quilters but it's a way I can say thank-you to my pet friends for all the joy they brought me. Bye bye Boo and you guys will meet up again--of that I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a stirring tribute to Boo! I am so sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so very sorry and share your pain. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sad for you as she was obviously such a big part of your life.
    Time will heal and fond memories will overtake the sadness your feeling today.

    ReplyDelete
  35. omg I am so sorry I can hear the love and compassion the two of you had for each other, with tears in my eyes here....
    hope you can find comfort in the wonderful memories and that amazing quilt , your right it does look like her
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a tender post. It is never easy saying "Good-bye" to a part of the family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. An incredibly beautiful and touching tribute for one of the greatest gifts we can receive..the precious love of a little cat like Boo. For those of us who have loved and lost such a little treasure..we truly understand and send our most heartfelt thoughts to you, today and every day during this hard grieving process. You are both so very lucky to have found each other and shared this time with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Bill, I'm reading your post thru blurry eyes filled with tears. What a darling sweetie pie, little Boo. The true love of a cat is a gift indeed, and you have been blessed. And she has been blessed to have you love her and care for her, too. I agree with Pepper Cory, you will meet again one day. In the sweet hereafter....

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bill - I am so very sorry to hear about Boo. I know what it's like to lose someone that you love so much - I have been there. I am sorry that I wasn't there to say goodbye, I will miss the old girl very much.

    M'lissa

    ReplyDelete