Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pure Genius


A genius is a person who is exceptionally intelligent, creative, or insightful. We sometimes hear the term genius associated with IQ tests, but I'm thinking more about the creative and insightful characteristics when viewing this wildly expressive, improvisational quilt. In my opinion, it's pure genius.


Of course, genius is a very subjective term in discussions about art, particularly abstract or non-objective art. There are many people who find this quilt baffling. In certain ways, so do I. The quilt challenges me, and urges me to make sense of it. That's how it draws me in. It seems much more closely related to abstract expressionist painting than quiltmaking. With such an unfamiliar design, you could even call it strange. But I feel it's strange in a good way.


The quilt came from Marjorie Childress in New Mexico. It just arrived yesterday, along with a second quilt. More about that later. I believe this quilt was made around the 1970s. Some of the materials seem earlier, but the combination of colors and some of the trims suggest 70s. It has some unusual attributes, too. The quilt is mostly wools, it has a large section of embroidered flowers, and shapes are outlined in applied bias tape and rickrack. Reminds me of a favorite Pat Sloan quote, "Rickrack. It's not tacky anymore."


So, tell me what you think. Is this quilt the craziest thing you've ever seen? Or is it pure genius?

6 comments:

  1. I love this quilt. Obviously, it's a grandmom sitting at a table having her afternoon tea which is exactly what I am doing right now. Notice the dog (or cat) at her feet. I don't have one of those, but if I did that's where it would be. Madge from Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! I see one kid sitting at a kitchen table while a younger kid steps off the counter to the table, and obviously has sent a vase of flowers flying all over the place. And I'm so glad my kids are older now and nothing like this happens at my house anymore. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely genius! Congratulations on another lovely acquisition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the deliberate, painstaking outlining is what elevates this quilt.Clearly someone with a vision of what she wanted to do. Really, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can usually appreciate anything funky, weird and offbeat. But this one makes me say, "What the hell?!" I'm very glad you're into these quilts so they don't all end up in dumpsters. They're really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all i can say is .wow. plaid. love the 70s. genius. yes.

    ReplyDelete