Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recent Acquisitions Lecture

1970s patchwork with raw-edge applique
Tuesday's lecture with the Comforters Quilt Guild in Tacoma, Washington, was a little out of the ordinary. The three weeks leading up to the lecture were very busy, and difficult. I had to say goodbye to my old cat and got a new cat, but was especially worn out after spending long days at the hospital with my dear friend Sarah, whose father passed away unexpectedly last week. After he had gone, we spent long days going through his home and discussing arrangements.

By the time I got to the lecture, I felt like I was going to fall over. I was running on empty, but I knew I had to go on with the show. It would be a bright spot in a difficult month. I knew the Comforters would comfort me, and they did. Before I started, I explained why I wasn't myself that day, but said hopefully the quilts would reenergize me. The group also needed positive energy, after one of their officers fell on the way into the meeting and injured her hand, and the group learned their membership chair had passed away the night before.

We were all counting on the quilts for a pick-me-up. And you know what? It worked! There were smiles, there was laughter, and the audience was wide-eyed with each quilt. The lecture was Recent Acquisitions, and here's what I brought.

I could hear the audience collectively gasp when they saw this
One of two 1830s quilt tops
A few had seen this in the exhibit in Bellingham last summer.
An unusual Log Cabin, in all solids - very graphic!
They all guessed it - 1976! But they were surprised I got it for $9
Big reaction to this one - they loved it!
More surprised reactions - Marsha McCloskey made this in 1973
They were simply dazzled by Andrea Balosky's quilt
I kept them awake at the end of the lecture with this Cinco de Mayo
Many guessed this was a Jean Wells quilt.
It was the first time I began a lecture hoping I could finish it, but everything turned out OK. I didn't have my 'A' game, but the quilts were A+. They were just what we all needed. Bright, colorful, cheerful, and optimistic. Thank you to the Comforters, and special thanks to program chair Nancy Koorenny for giving me the encouragement I needed to go on with the show. I can't wait to go back, with more great quilts and a full tank. 

1 comment:

  1. Great quilts! Sometimes when things are tough it helps to focus on something else for a few hours. Hope things turn around soon...

    BTW...love the clean lines in the log cabin. I hve a large strippy star that looks as if it came from the "same" fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete