Saturday, January 26, 2013

Off the Wall: Maverick Quilts at the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame

Two of my three NY Beauties in the exhibition
Three of my New York Beauty quilts are part of a new exhibition, Off the Wall: Maverick Quilts, currently on display at the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Ft. Worth, Texas. The exhibition, curated by Julie Silber and Jean Demter of the Quilt Complex, is on display until March 31st. The idea behind the exhibit is to display traditional examples of classic quilt patterns side-by-side with improvisational interpretations. Photos courtesy of The Quilt Complex. For more details, click here.

Improvisational Nine-Patch featured on the poster
Star Quilt, maverick style! 
During installation
Hanging the quilts
Exhibit floor plan, pre-installation 
The other of my three New York Beauties
A fourth New York Beauty, from The Quilt Complex (right) 
Jean Demeter steams one of my quilts to help flatten it - glad she did that!
Julie greets the crowd at the opening. 
Julie and Jean, job well done!!

10 comments:

  1. It looks like a great exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fabulous exhibition. That nine patch quilt has blown me away!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see an exhibition catalogue on their website, for those of us who can't make it to texas. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No catalog this time but they hope to have this travel and perhaps the next place will do a catalog. Seeing your quilts and realizing that ten days have already past since the opening makes me realize that I must do this THIS week - rodeo or no rodeo. So Bill you were in my town .......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texas has the neatest museums!~ I see they are affiliated with the Annie Oakley museum.Buffalo Bill Museum. Be careful, cause if you look around too much.. guns around...might need to close your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Texas a few times, but I'm really much more of a Northerner when it comes to a lot of things. I would enjoy going to see the quilts, though.

      Delete
  6. thought you might get a kick out of picture two and three

    http://cvquiltworks.blogspot.com/2013/01/so-much-progress-highlights.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie and Jean curated a wonderful show, but itʻs a bit out of the way to see in person.
    The poster quilt is intriguing, a visually arresting assembly. Makes you wonder ...

    ReplyDelete