Tuesday, October 9, 2012

IQSC Museum: What's in a Name? Inscribed Quilts

incredible stuffed applique in the center block of a wonderful album quilt
The other exhibit in the main galleries of the International Quilt Study Center and Museum was called "What's in a Name? Inscribed Quilts" and it included some of my favorite quilts in the whole museum. Once again, there was much to see.









Jonathan Gregory led the tour of the "What's in a Name?" exhibit

This quilt was subject of one of the AQSG Paper Presentations at Seminar
Beautiful! I just love these quilts, and the exhibit reminded me of an inscribed quilt in my collection, which could probably use a little more attention. I'll tell you all about that quilt another time. If you'd like to learn more about the quilts in the "What's in a Name? Inscribed Quilts" exhibit, I know the perfect way- order the catalog

5 comments:

  1. I carried home many cataloges and many books...had to leave a few older pieces of clothing behind to make room in the suitcase for them....all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the above comment. I used to come prepared each year to do the same! However, this year I bought so many books and pieces of ephemera that I had to ship a box home. Fortunately, I was easily able to do this bc AQSG decided to bring in an outside shipper the day after the auction to facilitate just such an eventuality! I think they began to do this about 3-4 years ago. What a difference this has made in my ability to buy more of the wonderful STUFF that AQSG members donate to this auction each year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was prepared to bring stuff back, but I wasn't very well prepared to buy a lot. Next time I go, I'll have to plan on having more money available, on top of what it costs to attend.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Signature quilts from anywhere, made for any reason, make me limp.
    The names reverberate with curiosity, fantasy, history, mystery. For me, irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These quilts are such treasures! I love the family one with Mr. Gregory in front of it; simple and sweet! And chronicles their whole life and family. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete