Tuesday, October 9, 2012

IQSC Museum: SAQA Showcase, Studio Art Quilt Associates Invitational

"Slave Ship Henrietta Marie" 2007, by Michael Cummings
The second of the three exhibits in the main galleries at the International Quilt Study Center Museum was the SAQA Showcase: Studio Art Quilt Associates Invitational. It was just astounding. The work was incredibly rich, and ranged from the abstract work of Jan Myers-Newbury to the emotionally charged work of Michael Cummings, and the whimsical work of Susan Shie. Again, there was much to see!

"Wildfire" 2011, by Jan Myers-Newbury
"Kat Soup" 2011 by Susan Shie
"A Young Obama" 2009, by Michael Cummings
"First Lady" 2009, by Susan Shie
detail view, "First Lady" 2009, by Susan Shie
detail view, "First Lady" 2009, by Susan Shie
Wow! What powerful work, and there was more than twice as much as I've included here. It was just amazing. I unconditionally recommend visiting the International Quilt Study Center Museum. As I said to the museum staff, I was very impressed before I visited, and ten times more impressed now that I've been there. If IQSC is on your bucket list, go ahead and move it to the top of the list. For more info about the International Quilt Study Center Museum, click here.

1 comment:

  1. I sure would love to spend hours looking at these works.

    ReplyDelete