Tuesday, April 8, 2014

...the collection people didn't know about...

some of the New York Beauty publications and ephemera in my collection
As well known as my collection of New York Beauty quilts has become, I have another very large, related collection that is almost completely unknown. Even most of my friends don't know about it.

part of my growing book collection
I often receive questions about what materials I have included in my research. The most simple and straightforward answer is, all available materials. It's been that way for a long time, 25 years to be exact. Whenever I learned of related materials that were available, I acquired them immediately.

two related quilts in a book by Mary Bywater Cross
If the idea of aggressively collecting support materials rings a bell, it is likely because I have gone about collecting the quilts the exact same way. The important thing about my behind-the-scenes collecting of publications and ephemera is it has resulted in a wealth of information and a distinct point of view. Now that I am writing a book on the subject, I have the unique opportunity to share it all with the rest of the world.

Georgia Chirella's significant contribution to my research was this ring binder
A few years ago, Georgia Chiarella made a significant contribution to this collection, as well as my research, by putting together a ring binder with articles and magazines referencing New York Beauty quilts and variants. Georgia has been going through her own collection, and has been extremely generous about sharing things with me. In many ways, Georgia is a guardian angel.

Connie Chunn sent me this information for the ring binder
She gathered every article and magazine she could find with information relating to the New York Beauty design, put them in plastic sleeves in the binder, along with handwritten index cards noting the sources, and sent it all to me, asking for nothing in return. Her generosity has been most impressive and very much appreciated. Others have contributed pieces to the binder, too, and it has been most helpful!

the quilt on the right was later identified as a Capper's Weekly design
called "Springtime in the Rockies" - many thanks to Gloria Nixon
So, that's the skinny on my hefty collection of books and ephemera. I thought I would put it out there so I could post a link to the blog every time someone asks, which is more often than you may think. I should also say, I welcome all contributions to this collection and thank everyone who has already contributed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment