Sunday, April 6, 2014

Collecting Modern Quilts

"9-Patched" 2014 by Gerrie Thompson
35" x 47 & 1/2"
With every ending comes a new beginning. My New York Beauty collection is nearly complete, a book is underway, and once the book is finished I will no longer be actively collecting those quilts. However, I will not be at a loss for what to collect. I am very interested in collecting modern quilts.

On Thursday I attended day one of the annual Clark County Quilters show, and as I was strolling down the last aisle before heading home, I saw Gerrie Thompson's "9-Patched" quilt. At first I did not realize Gerrie had made it. Her other quilts, the ones I have seen, were more traditional.


When I looked more closely at the tags, I realized the quilt was for sale, and it was definitely priced to sell. It was a no-brainer for me. I bought the quilt before I left the building. I was thinking about it as I headed toward the door, and there was Gerrie. We went back in to look at the quilt, and I removed the price tag to bring to the front desk- SOLD!

Gerrie and I met at this show last year, and we were both part of the Pacific West Quilt Show in Tacoma later in the year. I have admired her work ever since I first saw it, and I am delighted to include something she made in my collection. The quilt also has a fun story. It was created for the guild challenge, "Not Your Grandmother's nine patch" and the tag told the story about Gerrie's creative process and inspiration.


Gerrie Thompson's "9-Patched" is not the first modern quilt in my collection. Last December, I bought one of Susan Beal's quilts from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative - #13083, Improv Rays. So, my collection of modern quilts now includes two quilts, and I very much look forward to seeing the collection grow in the coming years.

AAQI #13083, Improv Rays by Susan Beal

7 comments:

  1. This is such a fun quilt, and I love reading about process. Looking forward to seeing your collection of Moderns grow, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw it, I thought it had something to do with the Socchi Olympic Games patchwork logo. It pays to read the entry card for sure! Evidently Gerri has a great sense of humor and must love word plays. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the humor in this quilt! Nice example of a Modern Quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a collector, how do you define Modern? I ask because the 2 you posted look like art quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the question you have asked does not have a brief, simple answer

      Delete
  5. I'm curious too about your criteria. How do you personally categorize a quilt as modern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same thing I said above, the question does not have a brief, simple answer - I could write books, and people would still have questions, sorry I don't have a better answer, but it's kind of like asking "what is art?"

      Delete