Monday, April 21, 2014

helpful


Previously published information is always helpful, even if it does not reveal any new information. Publications have dates and show research progress at specific points in time. The April 1981 Quilter's Newsletter Magazine article, "The Great American Quilt Classics, New York Beauty" contained a lot of information that was later disproved. A 1995 Article by Barbara Brackman was much closer to today's research.

Mountain Mist New York Beauty, c. 1930
I received the January/February 1995 issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine today, and was very interested in Barbara's article, "New York Beauties, from the Rockies through Tennessee and Texas". It was illuminating, in more ways than one. The article showed exactly where quilt history research about the New York Beauty design was almost 20 years ago, and the research was much closer than it had been in 1981.


Today, I also received one of the few editions of "Uncoverings" I had been missing, the 1995 edition. Audrey Waite was very kind to offer it to me when she saw my post about collecting all the American Quilt Study Group research journals. The 1995 edition includes a paper about Mountain Mist by Merikay Waldvogel, whose research is impeccable. I'm looking forward to reading it.


Did you know I was an avid collector of periodicals, research materials and ephemera? Today I also received a 2006 booklet called "New York Beauty" by Cheryl Phillips and Karla Schulz, which included plexiglas templates. Very cool!

If you're reading this blog and know of any other periodicals that may support my research, I hope you'll let me know. I want to send a big thank you to all the people who already have directed me to good information. It improves the quality of my research, and will ultimately be reflected in my upcoming Quiltmania book about New York Beauty quilts. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment