Sunday, April 27, 2014

more 70s quilts

Hexagon Diamonds, c. 1970, Oregon
Believe it or not, some of my favorite 1970s quilts did not make it to the lecture with Portland Modern Quilt Guild on Thursday. A few of them are on display at Latimer Quilt & Textile Center in Tillamook. The marvelous Hexagon Diamonds quilt, made entirely of polyester double-knit, is part of the exhibit "Masterpiece Quilts, Modernism in American Patchwork, 1810-1970" at Latimer. The exhibit runs until May 4th, and also includes the Snake Trails quilt and "Klee" by Marsha McCloskey.

Snake Trails, c. 1975
"Klee" 1973, by Marsha McCloskey
Two other quilts are hanging on the walls at my home. I probably should have pulled them down to bring to the lecture, but didn't think of it until it was too late. Those quilts are the One Patch with upholstery samples, and the Houses quilt, which I refer to as "Levittown Pennsylvania after the big paint sale" - LOL!
One-Patch with upholstery samples. c. 1970
Houses, c. 1975
These quilts will likely be part of the group to be exhibited next year at QuiltCon in Austin. I'm excited to go, and look forward to sharing these remarkable quilts.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! Was glad to read it was not at guild! My first thought when I saw the first photo was, Could I have forgotten that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's unforgettable. I have plenty of others stashed away at home, so choosing the ones for QuiltCon will be a lot of fun.

      Delete