Monday, April 14, 2014

I'm Looking forward to ____________


I'm looking forward to _________ (fill in the blank).

1) Mom's visit this summer. She is coming from Maine, and we are going to the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. Her friends Robin and Bill Carter are coming along. Sisters is such a magical place, especially around quilt show time. The Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show is a bucket-list event. How fortunate we are to have this wonderful event here in Oregon every summer.


2) my book. Years of writing, blogging and self-publishing led to the extraordinary opportunity of writing a book with Quiltmania. The book will be about my "New York Beauty" collection and will be the culminating experience of 25 years of collecting and learning.


3) upcoming exhibitions! Once the book is done, I will prepare to exhibit 50 of the quilts at Pour l'Amour du Fil in Nantes - this time next year!! The article in the latest issue of Quiltmania, issue #100, is a very brief preview of things to come. Before I go to France, I will debut my "Modern Materials, Quilts of the 1970s" collection at QuiltCon in Austin, and will also be the featured guest at the Milwaukie Center's 21st Annual Airing of the Quilts.

4) magazine articles. Soon there will be an article in Patchwork Professional, a German magazine. There will also be an article in American Quilter about the Kentucky quilts from my "New York Beauty" collection. I wrote the article especially for American Quilter and the Kentucky based American Quilters Society.


5) visiting the DAR Museum. The Achsah Goodwin Wilkins appliqué counterpane will be displayed at the DAR Museum in Washington, D. C., as part of a major exhibition of quilts from Maryland and Virginia. I will be attending the event to help celebrate the gift of this object to the museum, and look forward to seeing it in its new home.

6) more projects! There are so many ideas flying around right now, it's crazy. It is wonderful to be approached by so many smart, talented people who want to work together. I now have a bucket list of potential collaborative projects. Hard work really does pay off. But the thing about hard work is, it generates opportunities for more hard work. I say, "bring it!"

If you had to fill in the blank for "I'm looking forward to ____________" what would you have to say? Leave a comment below, and I will look forward to hearing your good news!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all of these exciting developments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,done Bill. Can't wait to see your new book full,of more eye candy I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And of course I would love to hear your good news, too. :)

      Delete
  3. How exciting, congrats on the book deal!!! I just wrote one myself but am still a ways out from the publication date. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. l am looking forward to many exciting things this year, 2 of them being Patty Harants and Brenda Papadakis coming as our special guests at Quilts In The Barn this year. l am also excited to see your exhibit next year in Nantes, and buy your book. Congratulations. l know Carol will do an amazing job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and how thrilling for you to have Patty and Brenda coming as special guests at Quilts in the Barn. Wonderful!!

      Delete
  5. Wow, so many exciting occasions to look forward to! Personally, I'm looking forward to spring. We've had amazing weather in Portland the last week, and it makes me excited for all the fun things spring brings—long walks, rhodedendrons in bloom, more sunlight, farmer's markets and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, me too! We have had some lovely weather in the last couple weeks, hopefully more on the way.

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing your work at the Milwaukie show in 2015 -- missed it this year. Love the audience awareness in selecting KY quilts to write about for AQS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to having my house settled. (I just moved)

    ReplyDelete