Sunday, April 29, 2012

Road Trip!

New York Beauty, 2010, by Nancy Tanguay, Warren, Connecticut
What to bring? What to bring? That's always the question when I'm going to do my "Beauty Secrets" lecture. I'm headed to Roseburg tomorrow. It's few hours south of Portland, so I've got to make sure everything is packed. I will be speaking for the Umpqua Valley Quilters Guild on Tuesday morning, my first time visiting the group, and I'm planning a head-spinning display, with more incredible New York Beauties than they've ever seen in one place. Ho-hum!

Beauty Secrets exhibit at the Benton County Museum last year
It's been a while since I thought a lot about these quilts. Last year, at this time, I was planning the Beauty Secrets exhibit and getting ready to release the show catalog. This year, I've been occupied with plenty of other things- several new appraisal clients, guest blogs for "Why Quilts Matter" and I'm even starting to make quilts. That's the main reason why I'm not thinking New York Beauties lately. It's a quilt I wouldn't dare to attempt.

Mountain Mist New York Beauty, c. 1930
At this point, I could pretty much do this lecture in my sleep, but trust me, nobody in the building will be dozing off during my lecture! As usual, it will cover the period from 1850 to present, the life story of the quilt pattern. I'll be back Wednesday to post a recap. :)

3 comments:

  1. I would love to come and hear you lecture! How fun! Personally, I think you should give a NYB a try! I am sure you would make a fantastic one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will be educational and entertaining! Have a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip...hope some of the members bring interesting quilts for show and tell! (that is always my favorite part of a meeting!)

    ReplyDelete