Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!


Easter is a Christian feast and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion at Calvary as described in the New Testament. It is also a day when children receive baskets of candy, devour chocolate bunnies and hunt for Easter eggs.

Some people think of the Easter bunny in April
Some people think of the Easter bunny, the "mascot" of Easter, who is like Father Christmas, bringing gifts, candy and Easter eggs to children the night before the day of the feast.

1930s Double Wedding Ring
In the world of quilts, when we think of Easter egg colors, we think of the quilts of the Great Depression. The soft, pastel colors are one of the prime characteristics of quilts of the era.

New York Beauty, c. 1930
No matter how you celebrate Easter, whether in church, waiting for the Easter bunny, gorging on chocolate, or pondering Easter egg color quilts, I want to wish all the readers of Wonkyworld and all your friends and family a Happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Doves - in Italy there is a buttery yeast cake baked in the shape of a dove, topped with crunchy sugar crystals and almonds.
    We left lettuce out last night for the Easter Bunny and apparently it was appreciated.
    Happy Easter to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! It was fun to see all the children dressed up this morning at church. I remembered growing up in New England and it was almost always too cold to wear spring dress yet...heck I remember one year my Dad having to carry me through the snow into the church so I wouldn't get my new Easter shoes wet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I remember is having Hot Cross Buns. It's a Good Friday thing, but I think we also had them on Easter.

    ReplyDelete