Friday, April 13, 2012

A Few of the First 10,000

"Blue Skies" and "Green Tangent" 2011, by Andrea Balosky
The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) recently received its 10,000th donated quilt, "Shhhh..." by Kristin Shields of Bend, Oregon. The quilt is an original design inspired by a class taught by Jude Hill, and the quilt represents thousands of generous quiltmakers who have supported AAQI, which has raised $716,000 since 2006. That's an extraordinary accomplishment, and of course, I couldn't just sit and watch!

"No Rhyme or Reason" by Lori Dejarnatt
A friend recently suggested that three makes a collection, so it looks like I've got a collection of AAQI quilts. I've got three of their first 10,000 quilts: #6392, Blue Skies, 2011, by Andrea Balosky of Mungpoo, Darjeeling, India; #6393, Green Tangent , 2011, by Andrea; and #9484, No Rhyme or Reason, 2012, by Lori DeJarnatt of Madras, Oregon. I almost had a fourth one, #6396, Tuesday and Sunday, 2011, by Andrea, but someone else had already bought it just before my order was processed.

Tuesday & Sunday - the one that got away!
All three of us are connected. I first met Lori in Sisters, Oregon, during a quilt documentation day. She volunteered at the photography station, and we had a blast. At one point, she brought in a sensational album quilt she'd made, which had been published, and it blew me away. I met Andrea about two weeks later, also in Sisters during the 35th Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. It was the day she appeared out of nowhere and gave me a quilt she'd made that had been in Quilt National. Andrea and Lori knew each other from years earlier. Lori had taken a class with Andrea, and had seen her quilts when Andrea lived in Camp Sherman.

Andrea made "Ribbon Sutras" and Lori won it
More importantly, by participating in the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, Lori inspired Andrea to make quilts for the first time in many years. Andrea has a relative with Alzheimer's and was moved by the cause. Lori's mother also has Alzheimer's, as did my grandmother. Lori also happens to be the lucky winner of #6397, Ribbon Sutras, by Andrea. Both Lori and Andrea have donated several quilts to AAQI, and I'd wanted one of Lori's beautiful quilts. I recently got my wish when Lori posted an announcement on Facebook that "No Rhyme or Reason" was up for sale. That's the quilt that "sold" three more times after I had bought it.

So, these are a few of the first 10,000 quilts donated to AAQI. All of them are connected in very special ways, as are the three of us in our desire to support such a worthy cause. Kudos to Ami Simms, all the folks at AAQI, and all the quiltmakers who have generously donated so many wonderful quilts. To learn more about AAQI, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Your "collection" already has a great story! How wonderful! And, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you please email me, I have a quick question. randyiris@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! I'd just posted a tiny Facebook album with 9 of my collection of 10 little quilts from AAQI's first 10,000, when I found your blog on your collection. Now that I've read your blog though, I've got to take them all down and put the info together on the donors. And add a picture of the quilt I donated. And make plans to meet up with some of these other quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts. I have one of Lori's AAQI quilts. That little quilt has been a quilt that binds Lori and I.
    My husband had early onset dementia and since passed away and even though I live in the UK I think it's wonderful what Ami Simms has achieved. I don't care what country finds the cure for this dreadful disease but hope people will continue to support this fantastic cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some gorgeous quilts you have in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother had Alzheimer's, so it's a cause I like to support. Even better that I can support the cause through the friends and people I admire who are making these wonderful little quilts. When you have ten thumbs like me, buying quilts is a whole lot easier than making them.

    Speaking of that, I think I need a Sujata Shah quilt in this collection. (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      You are sweet! I agree, we need to make more quilts and support the cause anyway we can. I just shipped two of my quilts today. Ready to start working on more.

      Delete
    2. Sujata- Please let me know when they're coming up for auction (or sale). If I can't get one through AAQI, we may have to do a trade or something. I love your work, and it truly belongs in a collection with Lori DeJarnatt and Andrea Balosky.

      Delete
  7. Synchronicity!

    You posted this on Friday the 13th, exactly the same day I stood in deep, multiple and confusing lines at the Siliguri Post Office, mailing another batch of mini-quilts to AAQI. Loriʻs wonderful quilt makes me yearn for print scraps. Thank you for promoting Amiʻs program, AND for bidding/purchasing our donations. Bill, youʻre an angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyima, the day after you stood in line was when I made my first quilt! May not have been the same day, but I call it synchronicity!

      Delete
  8. Heck, the day you made your first quilt is historic.
    Quilt worldʻs commemorative stamp following soon!

    ReplyDelete