Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"No Rhyme or Reason" by Lori DeJarnatt

"No Rhyme or Reason" 2012, by Lori DeJarnatt
I love Facebook. Yesterday, Lori Dejarnatt - a wonderful quiltmaker from Madras, Oregon, who I met in Sisters a couple years ago - posted a link for her quilt, which had just gone up for sale on the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative web site. As soon as I saw it, I clicked the link, quickly read the description, and bought the quilt on the spot.

Impulsive? I don't think so. I've admired Lori's work ever since I met her at an Oregon Quilt Project documentation day a couple years ago. She was an outstanding volunteer at the photography station, and did a guest blog for us. Lori has a great blog called Humble Quilts, and every time she posts one of her projects I'm just floored by the amount of talent she has.

My admiration for Lori and her work isn't the only reason why I bought the quilt. It appears to be done with Log Jammin' blocks, something Andrea Balosky taught before moving to the Himalayas, where she practices Buddhism and is now known as Nyima Lhamo. If you've read my blog, you know I'm interested in all things Andrea Balosky!

But if you want to know what really got me, read the description of the quilt and the dedication:

"I made this liberated style of log cabin after a particularly rough month with my mom who suffers from Alzheimer's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what gets remembered and what gets forgotten, hence the name of the quilt." - artist statement

"Dedicated to all the care givers who care for a loved one with Alzheimer's." - dedication

When I told Lori I'd bought the quilt, she was flattered. I'm just delighted. Lori poured her heart out into this quilt. Caring for someone with Alzheimer's is often difficult. Impressively, Lori's quilt finds a joyful place in the struggle, and serves as an important reminder to all of us. Each person is a thing of beauty, even if their thoughts are a little mixed up. Love them every day.

I'm honored to have such a deeply personal work, and especially honored to know the artist.

To learn more about the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, click here.

4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. As my mom continues to go downhill my quilts tend to have more and more of me in them. I find it very therapeutic to make these, especially for AAQI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now, a friend is holding on to a piece of that, and loving it!

    What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori is amazing, and the AAQI is such a great, great cause. Glad you snapped her little quilt up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori shared the news that three other people tried to buy the quilt after I'd already bought it. According to AAQI, that's some kind of record!! :)

    ReplyDelete