Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend at the Oregon Coast

I stayed in Oceanside, and the beach was maybe 100 yards from the cabin
The Oregon Coast is sublime any time of year, but until this weekend, I hadn't spent much time there in the late spring. I was lecturing as part of the Tillamook County Quilt and Fiber Arts Festival at the Fairgrounds - more about that later - and was staying at a cabin in Oceanside. The town of Oceanside is a lovely little community nestled in a bay, with a steep hill overlooking the bay. Perfect for parasailing!

I took these pictures standing on the front steps of the cabin in Oceanside
Here's what I could see from the front door at the cabin.
Tillamook is like a great big dairy farm by the sea, and a short drive from the sweeping vistas of the Pacific is farmland, cows and all. For anyone who doesn't know Tillamook, it is home of the Tillamook Creamery, where they make cheese, ice cream, butter...no wonder I love Tillamook so much! It is also home of the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center. I drove around a little, and the color of the landscape just took my breath away.

You can't find color like this just anywhere, but you can in Tillamook.

Oh yes, there are cows. Lots of 'em! This one seemed to like Sergio Mendes.
There were cows near the road, so I stopped for a moment to take a picture. Sergio Mendes was blasting from my car stereo, and the cow kept looking at me as I took her picture. I think cows like Sergio Mendes. Others seemed like they were headed toward the sound of the music. Since the cow was looking, I waved, and off I went.

The lectures went well. I spoke about the New York Beauty quilts again, and did mostly 19th century on Saturday and mostly 20th century today. I also took lots of pictures at the show, which I will post this week. It was a great weekend, and I thank the Tillamook County Quilters for asking me to be a part of it. Special thanks to Carol Weber, who arranged for the cabin and other goodies. Thank you, thank you, thank you - and job well done!

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to see these photos of the Tillamook area. Truly a special place. I grew up in Oregon, and always loved it there. I will have to visit the Latimer Quilt Center next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Oceanside ~ glad you enjoyed your time there! The Latimer Quilt Center being right there makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all looks so familiar. You know, I was in Portland visiting family at the end of May. Wish I had known you were there, too! Ah, well, I'll be back in a year or two! Nice to have found your blog, it looks so Oregonian!
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete