Monday, May 28, 2012

Tidal Treasures: Tillamook Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival

Best in Show - quilt by Gail Desjarlais
The Tillamook Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival took place on Saturday and Sunday at the Tillamook County Fairgrounds, and I was there doing a lecture each day. It's a wonderful event, which includes a quilt exhibit, demonstrations by local artisans, vendors, raffles, and lectures. I had done one lecture at this event a couple years ago, but this time I did one each day. At the end of day two, I finally got a chance to look at the quilts, and I saw a lot of quilts made by friends who served on the Board of the Friends of Latimer Quilt and Textile Center during my time as a board member.

"Line Art" by Carol Weber
"Frosty Friends" by Cathie Favret
"Favorite Quilt" by LaRayme Woodward
"Spring Flight" by Faye Jacques
"Concentricities" by LaRayne Woodward
"Button Baskets" by Cathie Favret
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get to see the quilts made by people I know. Usually I don't get to see their quilts until long after I've gotten to know their makers, and my reaction is often, "You made THAT? Wow!!" The back corner of the space is where I did the lectures, and I had a couple of the quilts on display most of the weekend.



It's a nice size show, held every other year, and I'm considering being a vendor in the future. There aren't enough appraisers around, and I think it would be a nice addition to offer the service at the show. Good thing about that is the booths are affordable and I don't have a lot of inventory to bring in and set up. I could hang a quilt or two, pull up a couple tables and chairs, and I'd be in business.

Once again I would like to thank the Tillamook County Quilters for including me in a wonderful weekend, and a special shout out to Faye Jacques who assisted holding up quilts during the lectures. Great job, all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment