Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Flashback: My First Block


Several years ago, I decided it would be fun to try to make a quilt block. So I went to the fabric store, bought several batik fabrics, and made a block. Just one block. It was a disaster. I think I was trying to make an Ohio Star. After forcing the thing through my machine, I looked at it and thought, "This is not good." So I stashed it away and pretended it never happened.

Just last night I found the block in a file with receipts of quilts I had purchased. I have no idea why I put it there, but there it was. Still bad, after all these years, although I do like the colors. I suppose the front of the block isn't that terrible, but the real story is on the back of the block.


Oy vey! What a mess!! Now you all know why I was reluctant to start making quilts. It's kind of funny looking at it now. Not that I'd do any better at an Ohio Star block today, but at least I've learned enough to know not to try it again until I've learned a lot more!

9 comments:

  1. Not bad... your points match up pretty well. I like to colors too. I bet your backs probably are a lot better today :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just need a pressing lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it looked very good. Just press your seams in the same direction for each row. I usually press my seams to the right in the first row, to the left in the second row, to the right in the third row, and to the left, alternating each row. When I press the seams to the left, I flip it over and then turn it. I hope that made sense.. Make some more quilts you will get better.
      Renee

      Delete
    2. Left seams, grab the end on the right side and flip it to the left then turn it to the right. I probably just confused you, sorry! You will get your own method. That just works well for me!

      Delete
  3. All you need is to have someone walk you through piecing and pressing...one block and you would be good to go...it isn't rocket science after all! You have the hard part down which is working with fabrics and colors...you have no fear...(which is a good thing and almost impossible to teach)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block was done maybe ten years ago. That's how long it took me to get over being horrified by it. I think I did better with piecing in my more recent attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All quilters start somewhere . . . so if at first you didn't succeed, try again! Because sometimes the best way to learn is by doing.
    As for your first block, add some borders, layer it with batting and backing and quilt it. It will make a cute small quilt or pillow top. Just make sure you put your story on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The front is lovely, and once you quilt it, no one will see the back. I have finished quilts more than 10 years after starting them, so don't use its age as an excuse not to do something with it. Greta's pillow idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea to make it into something. Now that I've tried sewing again, I've realized precise, traditional patterns may not be my strength. Some say it's more difficult to just make up your own design, but for me it's easier.

    Greta- whatever I do with the block, I will be sure to keep the story with it. If it lives longer than me, people are going to want to know why on earth I used black thread. :)

    If you look at some of the quilts I've done in the last month, you may notice I used some of the fabrics from the Ohio Star.

    ReplyDelete