Monday, April 17, 2017

"Off the Grid" Opening May 26th


This summer, a selection of works from my 1970s collection will be on display at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.


 It is a big honor. Check out this video, even if you already know about the museum, you'll be impressed.


The exhibition is called "Off the Grid, The Bill Volckening Collection" and it'll be up from May 26th to August 27th in the center gallery at the museum. 


The facilities are superb, the staff is top notch and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to exhibit there.



My exhibition will feature discoveries from an important period in American quiltmaking, the 1970s. Many of the quilt historians I have met were learning to make quilts in the 1970s, so they have personal perspective, but they did not necessarily see value in these quilts. Some even scoffed at the polyester double knit materials. 


I recognized the value in these quilts as soon as I began to look at them, and also saw they were incredibly undervalued. The quilts were the products of the great American quilt making revival of the 1970s. They had cultural value.


The museum has excellent space with tall walls and high ceilings, so we will be able to exhibit some of the larger works in the collection. I'm very happy about that. Not every space is able to accommodate such large quilts. So, mark your calendars, May 26th to August 27th, and if you're interested in hearing me speak, I'll be there August 4th for a talk. For more information about the museum and its upcoming events, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment