Monday, October 14, 2013

wash day


Today I'm washing one of the quilts I made. It was for the Man-Land exhibit at Sisters, summer of 2012, and I call it "Marvelette". Don't ask me why. I have no idea. Sorry I don't have a better picture of it, but I'll try to get one soon.


After Sisters, the quilt was in a pile with some musty old quilts. When I pulled it out recently, it had some fold lines and was musty. I didn't prewash any of the fabrics, and can't remember if I ever washed it- maybe, maybe not. Should I be nervous? If it withstands the wash, a delicate cycle, cold wash with a scant amount of mild soap and a delicate, low-heat drying cycle, I'll be happy. I like the idea of making a washable quilt. My wool quilt is definitely not washable.

"Wild-Eyed Susans" - not washable!!

4 comments:

  1. I wash everything - even wool, satin, etc.
    Of course it helps that my machine has a handwash cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wash most quilts on delicate but I dry them flat like a fine cashmere sweater. There are new products out there that help prevent color bleed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out fine. I could probably block it a little, but it's not bad. Maybe I'll let Lulu sleep on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you call it Marvelette: a subconscious nod to the USPS, perhaps? (I hope you get that reference!)

    ReplyDelete