Thursday, March 7, 2013

four non-cottons

velvet
Quiltmakers tend to love their cotton fabrics, and as a result, a majority of handmade quilts are made of cottons. Lately there seems to be a renewed interest in wools. That got me thinking about my favorite non-cotton quilts, and here are four. There's velvet, silk, wool, and polyester - four non-cottons.

silk
wool
polyester
All four quilts are visually sophisticated, and the characteristics of the fabric is what makes each quilt so successful. It's interesting to consider them as a group. It hadn't occurred to me before now. What's your favorite non-cotton material for making quilts?

9 comments:

  1. opps....you have a strange comment above.... may be time to use your delete powers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, got it. I remove spam daily, but I wish I knew what spammers think they're getting out of it.

      Delete
  2. There is a GOOD reason that quilters like their cotton fabrics.... and it is called wearablility. Silk is such a delicate fabric a quilt made with silk is not for the family lounge. Same goes for velvet....a container of yogurt spill on it is a major clean up headache. I live in the south where bugs eat wool that is just "out" --- maybe not the first three years but eventually the moths find said items. Polyester is great on the clean up and toughness against mother nature it is the cozie element that does not send me. It makes my skin itch and sweat, etc. So I don't see myself MAKING a quilt with any of said materials.

    Your quilts look great together and the academic question does pose some thought. Most of us do not use our quilts for academics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm far from being an academic, but I am an art lover. :)

      Delete
  3. I love wool, but it is hard to find in this neck of the woods...The wool one is just stunning.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a wool one, out of old sweaters I fulled in the washer. I have a velveteen one, collected off ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Потрясающие работы!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо. Эти антикварные одеяла. Я хотел бы сказать, кто их сделал.

      Delete