Saturday, March 23, 2013

Center Star, 2013

Center Star, 2013
The Center Star quilt is finally bound. I wanted something very specific for the binding: narrow, 1/4" pieced rather than the standard 1/2" single-fabric binding. I chose this finish because I felt it would enhance the irregular edge rather than eating it up, but I didn't trust myself to get it done right in time for the NW Quilters show in a few weeks. So, I worked with a professional, guild mate Sylvia Gray, who also does sleeves for my antique and vintage quilts. The long-arm quilting was done by Tomme Fent, also to my exact specifications.

This quilt was started last November during a Liberated Medallion workshop with Gwen Marston in Sisters. It was my first quilting class, and first sewing class since the 7th grade. We had fun, and several of us spent the rest of the weekend together in the retreat with Sue Spargo, which is where I started the "Wild-Eyed Susans" quilt. It's nice to have both done within a few months of starting them, and they will be displayed at the NW Quilters 39th Annual Show in April.

More experienced quiltmakers roll their eyes when I say I have a no-UFO policy, but I'm going to try to stick to my guns. There are things I experimented with, which I'll never finish, but I don't consider them UFOs since I don't intend to finish them. At this time I have just a couple UFOs, and I'm not starting anything new until I finish one of them. The one I'd like to finish next is called Oregon July and the goal is to have it ready in time for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show this summer. It will be my eighth completed quilt.

next up: "Oregon July" in progress

12 comments:

  1. UFOs aren't really a bad thing. sometimes they need to marinate a bit, thats all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree, although I feel like my perspective is a little different because of some of the formative creative experiences I've had. I do appreciate the need to let a project marinate, but very rarely do I experience that as a visual artist. More often, time management or financial considerations would be the primary reasons for a project to go on hold, and if those were the reasons, it would make no sense to start other projects. So, that's why I don't believe I'll ever have a lot of UFOs.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt somehow captures the energy of some of the best "primitive" pieces. If it was divorced from your identity and put on display in different contexts, it could be taken as African American in tradition or a very effective scrap piece made in humble circumstances whose power was achieved by accident. This is a good thing. Maybe you should keep taking these classes, they really seem to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad you like it. When you see it in person, it seems much more like what it really is- an art quilt and a tribute to quilt history.

      Delete
  3. The center star is stunning. Really beautiful in execution and design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things Gwen Marston showed me was improvisational style quilts could also be refined, resolved, and somewhat controlled technically. That's kind of what I was going for - being in control of the out-of-control-ness. :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely LOVE the quilting on the Center Star. Perfectly chosen to really accentuate the elegantly simple design. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I decided to have it long-armed rather than trying to hand quilt it. I liked it, wanted to get it done, and didn't want to wreck it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The piecing was fun, and I was happy with how the quilting enhanced the design.

      Delete
  6. Bill, let's touch base in about five years. I want to see how many UFOs you *might* have by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Dawn! But seriously, when you attend college at a place like RISD and are required to finish projects overnight all the time, the inclination to let something sit is really trained out of you.

      Delete