Monday, September 17, 2012

Stacked Bars, c. 1950, Texas


Great weekend in Washington with Saturday Quilt Adventure in Bellingham and an exhibit of fascinating improvisational quilts at the Bellevue Arts Museum. When I got home, two boxes were waiting on my doorstep. This 1950s scrappy Stacked Bars quilt came from an eBay seller in Texas, and it's what was in one of the boxes. Here are some pictures.







Love the "liberated" geometric design and there are several interesting conversation prints plus geometrics, florals, stripes, plaids, and solids. Looks like mostly cottons. Some condition issues, most easily fixed. Sadly, no maker's information, but certainly a delightful work of art. Stay tuned to see what was inside the second box. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, man, another beauty! These quilts you've been posting really speak to me - must be because I was born back in 1960, right around the time quite a few of these were made. Keep 'em coming, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've had bits of those prints in my scrap bags -- it's fun to see what'll make them look GOOD. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am part of a Historical Group that will stare at an 19th century scrap quilt and enjoy the fabrics! And look here - it is just as fun to do that with 1950's quilts, thanks for the eye opener.

    ReplyDelete