Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Quilt #11,918 ---> AAQI


My first quilt is all registered, numbered, and on the way to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI). The quilt is called "Escape From Palm Beach" and it is AAQI Quilt #11,918. It's dedicated to my father, Lloyd Edgar Volckening, who passed away five years ago after struggling with dementia.

I numbered it and drew a little heart on the fast finish corners...
...and added some information at the bottom
I've heard it's bad luck to give away your first quilt, but how can it be bad luck to support such a worthwhile cause? Besides, I could always buy it back. The quilt may not be "auction material" and I may not be a very prolific, experienced quiltmaker, but I wonder if they'll put it in the auction anyway. My name has been out there a lot lately. It's difficult to remain anonymous when you're featured in Quilters Newsletter. So maybe that would draw a few bidders. We shall see...

Want more information about AAQI? Click here!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    My father is starting to have problems with dementia, so perhaps I should make a quilt, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You can easily get a quilt done in a day, and it feels good to help such a great cause - especially if you have a loved one who has suffered from Alzheimer's or dememtia.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard the "bad luck" to give away your first quilt saying--Oh boy--then am I in trouble!! I have never kept any of my quilts so far. They have always gone to someone who needed them at the time, more than I did. I have heard that it is "good luck" to sleep under a finished quilt for the first time!! I guess it is just how you hear the old tales. Thanks for donating to this worthy cause & I think it is fantastic that you are giving away your first quilt. I am pretty sure it will be bet on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably just an old wive's tale, but you can never really go wrong if you're going out on a limb to do something generous.

      Delete
  3. I have purchased 3 quilts from the Alzheimer's site. I also feel it is a worthy cause. I am sure your quilt will sell quickly . . . someday I hope to be bold enough to make & donate one myself! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, just go and look at the quilts for sale. You'll see that many of them are very simple, and even people who have never made a quilt before are participating. I say go for it! You'll have fun. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice! it seems like it is taking a long time to get them listed. I hope yours is on the auction block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they're receiving a lot of quilts, and maybe deciding which ones will go to Houston. There's also the celebrity auction coming up. Busy time for AAQI!

      Delete
  5. Hi Bill, I am so glad you got this, I am flattered! I'll make more of these, all thanks to Lisa Ellis and her visit to Northwest Quilters earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt arrived yesterday and it's gorgeous! Even better in person. I love it!!

      Delete