Saturday, September 15, 2012

Broderie Perse Bedspread


Switching gears a little...

...just when I was telling a friend I didn't have any examples of Broderie Perse in my collection, I received an auction alert from Live Auctioneers. Skinner was having an auction, and one of the lots was a large Broderie Perse bedspread. I noticed the auction was underway, so I signed up to bid. It didn't go as high as I thought it would, so I won the lot. Can't wait to receive it. Here are some pictures from the auction site.









5 comments:

  1. do you know how old it is? Again, this is on my bucket list...kinda far down the list though. It would be great to see one in the newer large scale prints. If only I had a patron to fund my work and pay me living wage to do it....dreams....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking 1830 or 1840, but perhaps it is earlier. Will hope to get a better idea when I see it in person. It looks more like a representative example rather than a "best" example. The fruit basket with three peaches is seen fairly often.

      Delete
  2. This is marvelous! A technique I hope to do one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, it looks like the motifs are applied to jacquard woven material or directly to marseille fabric. How did Skinner's describe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just called it a bedspread, probably 19th century, Broderie Perse. I thought it would be worth the gamble since I haven't seen a full view shotm but regardless, I think it's a decent example of Broderie Perse to have on hand. Maybe it's even better. Who knows! :)

      Delete