Tuesday, January 10, 2017

the loud Hawaiian shirt


I love my new loud Hawaiian shirt. It's not really new, more like 1960s, but it's new to me. The fabric is very familiar. I know I've seen it somewhere before. I have a couple quilts with similar color scheme, and a muumuu with very similar fabric.


Similar, but not quite it. I have to check out the label on the muumuu when I get back. Wondering if it's made by the same company. If not, I wonder if their fabrics were from the same designers.



The shirt was made in Hawaii by Kawika of Hawaii, Ltd. I found it at one of the vintage shops in Honolulu, and the tag said 1960s. It definitely has that 60s vibe. 


Every wardrobe should have a really great, loud, vintage Hawaiian shirt. The funny thing is, I have a Ted Baker sport coat with me, and it's neutral enough to work with the shirt. I may have to wear it on the plane home. Portland had an ice storm while I was away. They need some sunshine!

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous !!! Especially with the jacket. Wear it proudly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. You'll bring the sunshine to PDX. That muumuu fabric is fabulous! I hope you'll make something with it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please bring back some warmth and sunshine please, no more ice and snow is wanted this winter we've had enough. This was such a great idea of shopping to do in Hawaii - when I was there in Hawaii with my parents we also spent an inordinate enough of time browsing stores for Hawaiian shirts and dresses for them, though it also included modern boutiques for less bright more "Dressy" patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We definitely need some sunshine! Love the shirt and love that you have the confidence to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may already know this, but if not...there was a time when going to Luau, that it was stylish to have a muumuu to match your date's Hawaiian shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you, missing out on the ice storm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shirt is sunshine, indeed! I like today's snow but am not looking forward to the ice that lies beneath the snow... Sunshine soon, please!

    ReplyDelete