Sunday, September 1, 2013

the "missing" blocks


Last weekend I was at the Pacific West Quilt Show in Tacoma, and spent the day with Georgia Chiarella and Chris Wrobel- maker of the magnificent Great Cities quilt, which is currently on display at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Chris said she had some spare blocks for the quilt, and asked if I wanted them. Of course I wanted them! So she sent them, and they arrived yesterday.

There are 48 blocks in the quilt, and 32 spare blocks!! I couldn't believe my eyes. It's wonderful to have these blocks along with the quilt, and I also have two large pieces of the fabric, one of those given to me by Georgia. Back when I'd first made an offer on the quilt, I'd told Chris the quilt was worth more than what I was offering, but I promised it would be seen by many people. Hopefully I've held up my end of the bargain. :)

Thank you, Chris and Georgia - you're the best!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a beauty! So, do you have plans for the spare blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to keep them as ephemera, but if the quilt is ever lost, we have a great head start on a replacement. :)

      Delete
  2. I do hope you plan to put those spares into a new quilt! A different layout, since there are fewer of them. You've got me planning layouts, darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this not a favorite pattern of mine, but I love this quilt. Just goes to show what the right fabric can do! I admire your self control, keeping the spare blocks as ephemera (:@}

    ReplyDelete