Monday, September 16, 2013

more blue resist

18th century indigo resist hanging over my banister - a place of honor!
My friend Georgia is very helpful when it comes to quilt history information. She's got quite a library, and a good memory for what information can be found, and where. Georgia was telling me about a book I'd had on my wish list for a long time, but hadn't gotten around to buying - "Printed Textiles: English and American Cottons and Linens 1700-1850" by Florence Montgomery.


Today the book arrived, and I also received a letter from Georgia with a copy of the page, 207. That's where I located the illustration of the blue resist print seen in my recently acquired quilt. Here's the illustration, and a photo of a section of the quilt.



There was also a nice surprise. A few pages after the illustration was another print- the same one from the French whole cloth quilt in my collection.



Georgia really nailed it! I had a copy of Montgomery's other book, and wasn't finding the information. Silly me- I was looking in the wrong book! Now I'm looking forward to reading more about these blue resist fabrics, how they were made, and where to find other examples. 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt! Be sure to read Uncoverings 2004.Eighteenth-Century Indigo-Resist Fabrics:Their Use in Quilts and Bed Hangings
    By Mary E. Gale and Margaret Ordonez. Your print is pictured in a black and white photo of a whole-cloth quilt at the Shelburne Museum.
    This is the more recent research (that I am aware of) into these prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it true that most pictures are B&W in the book and only a few colour ones? And if this is correct, do you still feel the book is worth getting? Many thanks.
    Linda.

    ReplyDelete