Friday, September 27, 2013

Chintz Counterpane Included in "Uncoverings 2013"


If you've followed this blog or my guest blogs for "Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics" over the last year, you're probably aware of the extraordinary appliqué counterpane with cut out chintz, thought to be part of the Achsah Goodwin Wilkins group. I discovered this object in a Skinner auction through Live Auctioneers last year, and was the lucky winner- but at first I didn't realize just how lucky I was.

If you missed the whole story or need a refresher, click here.

At last week's American Quilt Study Group Seminar in Charleston, South Carolina, noted quilt historian and author Merikay Waldvogel presented a groundbreaking paper called "Printed Panels for Chintz Quilts: Their Origin and Use" - and the chintz counterpane from my collection was included in the paper and presentation. I was very sorry I couldn't be there in person, but heard it was top notch- and I was very impressed with the paper in Uncoverings 2013. Superb work!

"Uncoverings" is the annual journal of the American Quilt Study Group (AQSG). The journal is edited by Lynne Zacek Bassett, who is an outstanding editor, and the publication comes as a membership benefit for those who join AQSG. Many of the back issues are available online, and may be ordered through the AQSG web site.

For lovers of chintz, Uncoverings 2013 also includes a second excellent paper about chintz- "Lowcountry Chintz: The Townsend/Pope Quilt Legacy" by Sharon Fulton Pinka. Sharon is another amazing historian whose work I admire.

Last year, when I did my study center at the AQSG Seminar in Lincoln, I was very honored to have Sharon introduce me. When she pulled out a line from my interview in Quilters Newsletter, I was impressed with her eye for detail and keen sense of humor.  I had been quoted as saying I'd love to find a good example of "Broderie Perse" for my collection. In her introduction it was noted that evidently my goal was well-achieved. That spark of humor helped me feel relaxed and welcome, so I really appreciated it!

Hearty congratulations to all paper presenters and contributors to Uncoverings 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment