Another random idea: a while back I saw a quilt made of vintage doilies, and I thought it would be fun to make my own version with hand dyed doilies. I found two inexpensive, crocheted cotton doilies on eBay, and they arrived while I was in Williamsburg. They were sitting on the counter staring at me today, when I got an idea.
I had some Easter egg dyes on hand, so I mixed them up and applied them to the doilies with Q-Tips. When I got to the red, I used a paper towel to dab it on. My fingertips were red for the rest of the afternoon. I dried them under light on some newspaper, and love how they turned out. The only thing is I've got to air them out. The smell like vinegar. LOL! If I can get the stank out, I'll use them in another project.