Sunday, April 14, 2013

my cat likes arugula


That's right, Lulu likes arugula! She's always stalking about the kitchen when I'm cooking, and I often let her sniff the ingredients to see if she's interested. She doesn't like garlic, and I'm glad because it isn't good for her. She doesn't like citrus, or basil. But she loves arugula!


Earlier in the week, I was making a salad with arugula, basil, heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella. When an arugula leaf fell to the floor, Lulu ran over and gobbled it up. I couldn't believe it. I'd never seen a cat eat arugula before. Tonight, there was a lot of leftover arugula, so I made pesto with arugula, lemon and basil.

A r u g u l a  P e s t o

4 cups arugula
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 or more fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup shredded parmesan 
zest of one lemon
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil

Puree ingredients together in a food processor, drizzling in the olive oil through the chute of the food processor until the mixture becomes a paste. Toss with hot pasta. Serves 2-4.

When I was getting out the ingredients, Lulu was there, waiting. I thought, "does that cat want arugula?" Sure enough, she did! She chirped with her high, operatic voice, and jumped up when I dangled a leaf in front of her. As soon as she got it, she devoured it.

Lulu didn't have any of the pesto because I ruined it with all the other ingredients, especially that stinky lemon. She makes a lemon face and runs away every time I let her sniff fresh lemon. Such sophisticated taste she has!


9 comments:

  1. She is so adorable! Such an interestingly different cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it reminds her of catnip with it's spicy flavour. She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are some impressive claws she is using to grab that arugula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does she react to bananas? My cats hated the smell of them.

    Barbara in MD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny kitties. Mine loves bananas. She shakes like she needs a "junky" fix. And then there is watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous cat! But keep the garlic far, far away from her!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, my tuxedo loves arugula too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cat likes arugula too! He plays with it first, then eats it.

    ReplyDelete