Saturday, June 18, 2011

Totally Mod String Quilt


OK, so it's technically not a quilt. It's a tied comforter. But since it's got a pieced top, I think most people would call it a quilt. This totally mod string quilt was made in the 1960s or 70s, and is coming from an eBay seller in North Dakota. I haven't seen it yet in person, but I'm sure there aren't a lot of natural fibers involved.


This quilt is 66" x 76" and was machine pieced and tied with red yarn. The batting is high-loft, and the backing is flannel. According to the seller, the binding was hand sewn, but there were no details about what type of binding. I'm thinking probably knife-edge.


What really drew me to this quilt was its optical effect. The dark bands of fabric combined with the colorful, geometric pieces create an optical illusion. It has the effect of a view through beveled glass windows. The view is distorted, but something very colorful is on the other side. That's the visual effect it has in a small photo, but I'd say it's the same effect it might have in a large gallery space with the quilt displayed on a wall.


I'm starting to develop a thing for these Flower Power generation quilts, as kitschy as they are. Since I'm a child of the 60's, I can relate to the aesthetic, and the fabrics are familiar. There's something comforting about double-knit polyester. It's retro, it's cool, and although I would never wear it or sleep under it, the fabric will probably last longer than an unwrapped Twinkie.

By the way, I got it for $19.99.

8 comments:

  1. There is something comforting about indestructible synthetic fibres ... part bedding, part fallout shelter. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, and it looks like modern art, so win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! As a fellow child of the 60's, I'm glad someone is rescuing these. I think we'll appreciate their beauty more in coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you noticed how well the polyesters hold color and how great the photograph! Who knew that one day I would have something nice to say about polyester...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing that intrigues me most is how this piece reflects a time and place that many of us remember so well. Aside from an eternal fondness for the Brady Bunch wardrobe, I, too, never thought I'd have much good to say about polyester, but quiltmakers changed my mind.

    After the New York Beauty ship is sailing, I'm interested in doing things with the rescue quilts and the 60s/70s quilts. The relevance of New York Beauties today has been uncanny, but I think the same relevance will soon be seen in the rescue quilts and 60s/70s quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unwrapped Twinkie.....love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Siobhan about the colours. They really do hold. The quilt is wonderful. I love the freedom of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If polyester resists fading in chlorinated water, that tells you something about it's colorfast quality. Extreme exposure to sun or chlorine is just about the only thing that could ever fade this quilt.

    ReplyDelete