Friday, June 24, 2011

AQS Blog of the Week & Top Ten Most Viewed Posts


Today I was honored to learn my blog was selected as the American Quilter's Society Blog of the Week. Many thanks to the fine folks from AQS for this recognition. To celebrate, I thought I'd take a walk down memory lane and recap some of my most popular posts. I started this blog in October, 2010, and since then, the blog has been viewed over 41,000 times. I enjoy using Blogger because it provides statistics like that, and it's really easy to use. So, without any further adieu, here are my top ten most popular posts in descending order. Please click the links to view the blogs.

#10- Preparing for a Noteworthy Guest
10. Preparing for a Noteworthy Guest, November 30, 2010 (231 page views): This post is about getting ready for a visit from Ronda Beyer, one of the finest machine quilters anywhere to be found. Ronda has received some major awards for her work this year.

#9- Elongated Diamond Sashing - A Regional Trait?
9. Elongated Diamond Sashing - A Regional Trait? February 22, 2011 (272 page views):  I have a couple quilts with long, narrow diamonds pieced together in rows as sashing, and was wondering about other quilts with similar characteristics. In this blog, I speculate about whether or not the element could have originated in North Carolina. Six quilts with this element, found on the Quilt Index, were all from North Carolina.

#8- Four Exquisite Flower Pots
8. Four Exquisite Flower Pots, December 2, 2010 (284 page views): There have been many musings on my blog about the Mary Couchman Small Album Quilt with Lyre Medallion, and in this blog I offer a close-up view of the four exquisite flower pot blocks in each of the four corners of the quilt. Take a look, and click the pictures to see enlarged views of the remarkable detail.

#7- NW Expo Display in September
7. NW Expo Display in September, March 3, 2011 (285 page views): I've been receiving a lot of invitations to participate in quilt events lately, and in this post I talk about the invitation to display quilts and lecture at the NW Quilting Expo in September, and of course, what to bring. I'm excited about the opportunity to display antique quilts in this venue. I think it may be the first time antique quilts will be displayed in this venue.

#6- Small Wonders at Latimer Quilt and Textile Center, Tillamook
6. Small Wonders at Latimer Quilt and Textile Center, Tillamook, February 4, 2011 (290 page views): It was my first time in the role of curator, and what a wonderful experience it was. The Small Wonders exhibit included over 80 doll quilts by visionary quilt artist Andrea Balosky, aka Nyima Lhamo. She made the quilts between 1999 and 2003 in Camp Sherman, Oregon, but she now lives in the Himalayas. The exhibit included a double clothesline display across the stage as a tribute to the artist's quilting group, the Pine Needlers, who displayed these quilts on clotheslines back in the day.

#5- Rhode Island Quilt Pictures
5. Rhode Island Quilt Pictures, March 22, 2011 (332 page views): One of my most auspicious acquisitions in recent memory was a circa 1800 glazed wool Star Medallion quilt from Rhode Island. This quilt is very old, very rare, and quite extraordinary!

#4- Miraculous. Important. Divine.
4. Miraculous. Important. Divine. October 29, 2010 (333 page views): In this post I talk about the discovery of Andrea Balosky's Small Wonders doll quilts. I was absolutely blown away by the experience of viewing the quilts as a whole body of work, and the realization that it was a very important group of quilts.

#3- Inspired by Karen Stone
3. Inspired by Karen Stone, February 27, 2011 (341 page views): This quilt, "Lady Liberty Goes to Hawaii" by Marita Wallace of San Diego, California, was the subject of the post. This modern-day New York Beauty was inspired by the work of Texas quilt artist Karen Stone.

#2- Important Rhode Island Quilt
2. Important Rhode Island Quilt, March 17, 2011 (354 page views): I simply couldn't contain my excitement after winning this amazing quilt on eBay. It was a fierce, last-second bidding war, and rightly so. I'd never seen another quilt like it available on the open market.

#1- Separated at Birth: My Virtual AQSG Poster Presentation
1. Separated at Birth: My Virtual AQSG Poster Presentation, October 13, 2010 (711 page views): This post is my virtual poster presentation for the American Quilt Study Group. I'd been selected to present at the annual Seminar in Minnesota, but when I couldn't make it, I still wanted to do my presentation, so I did it online. The subject is a masterpiece Album quilt and its long lost relative from West Virginia.

So, there you have it, my top ten most popular posts since starting the blog in October, 2010. It's been an amazing year, so far, and I have a feeling it will only get better! Thanks again to the American Quilter's Society for recognizing my blog, and special thanks to those who have been reading along!

4 comments:

  1. And thank-you for all your great postings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, the pleasure is all mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. You deserve it, you're one of my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog! This is a well-deserved honor. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete