Thursday, November 17, 2016

Americana Quilt

Americana Quilt
cotton/polyester blend
Plum Grove Junior High Quilting Club
Rolling Meadows, Illinois, 1976
74" x 91"
This wonderful "Americana Quilt" was made by the Plum Grove Junior High School Quilting Club in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. It includes a collection of embroidered patches dating from the early 1970s to 1976, when the quilt was made. The border and hanging loops are made of bright red fabric, and patches are stitched over blue squares, which alternate with inscription-covered white squares. Here are just a few of the details that caught my eye.
















On one of the squares in the lower left corner there is an inscription that says, "Americana Quilt, Made by Quilt Club Students 8-2, 8-6, 8-9, 8-10" -- so I'm calling it an Americana Quilt. Many of the patches remind me of my childhood. I was 10 in 1976, and a couple years later I started a little patch collection of my own. Maybe one day they'll go into a quilt. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this quilt because I have been incorporating patches in many of the quilts I make. Very cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool quilt indeed!!! And one day you may tell us what the pink marker says......

    ReplyDelete