Sunday, August 19, 2012

Random Art Moment: Aquarium

Top section of Aquarium, 2012
We had a heat wave in Portland during the week. Triple digits for the first time in a long time, and even though I have air conditioning, it still got warm upstairs in the bedroom. It was hard to sleep. I had interesting dreams.

Aquarium, 2012
"Aquarium" came to me in a dream. The dream was black and white with a hint of blue. It was about an aquarium, how the aquarium was actually the body, and how the body was really one life. The aquarium was part of the cosmos, floating as one, ghostlike, but unconnected. Beyond that, hard to explain. Two years ago, I did a similar photomontage called "Zauberspiegel" and entered it in the annual Spooky Show at Lightbox Photographic gallery in Astoria.

Zauberspiegel, 2010 

I'm thinking about entering "Aquarium" it in this year's show - it's the fourth annual, and I participated in the first two but missed last year. It would be fun to go back. I love Astoria, and Lightbox is really a neat gallery. It would also be nice to see what "Aquarium" looks like as a finished piece, hanging in a gallery. That is, assuming it's accepted. The "Spooky Show" will have its first guest juror this year, and the show has steadily drawn photographers from around the world. So, I guess I'll print it if it gets accepted. Otherwise, it might just exist as part of the cosmos, like the idea, itself. 

Anyway, here are a few details of "Aquarium".







9 comments:

  1. Of course this will be accepted....it's fantastic! I'm a little creeped out and mesmerized at the same time! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully it would fit in with the show, but I really want it to stand out from the crowd. There are pictures from their past shows on their web site. As far as I can recall, there hasn't been anything quite like "Aquarium" in the past.

      Delete
  2. That is absolutely fabulous. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I love it, too, but didn't want to sound too puffed up about the whole thing. It was surprising more than anything.

      Delete
  3. ROFL This fits in so very well with the Dethklok "birthday" video an old school mate just sent me. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that with Zauberspiegel, but Aquarium is a lot more peaceful. Think radio Arcadie ambient music. :)

      Delete
  4. Lately--my dreams have been more interesting than my day!! I do remember parts of them the next day--but have never thought to put it to art. I have journaled to try and sort out things-which sort of works!! There is a very elegant tie in to your art piece--connects all the elements to the design. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an interesting project for me. Although I don't know if I can actually illustrate the dream, you could say the figure in Aquarium was a central character. Just try to imagine it floating and moving through the universe.

      Delete
  5. Great art! These all pictures are just amazing and eye pleasing.

    ReplyDelete