Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Facebook Live with Marin Hanson


In case you missed it, I did a Facebook Live segment on Friday with curator Marin Hanson of the International Quilt Study Center & Museum at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. We had a nice visit in the Center Gallery, site of my "Off the Grid" exhibition, which is up through August 27th, 2017. The segment was recorded, so if you missed it you can still watch. Don't miss the phone call from Mom somewhere in the middle. Thank you Marin, and special thanks to Laura Chapman for making the segment possible.

1 comment:

  1. Saw the Off the Grid exhibition last week and absolutely loved it! I'm not an intentional quilt collector, but I guess you'd say a quilt inheritor from several generations of women in my family, c1850 to 2010. Characteristic of those from my grandmother in the 1970s (other than cross-stitch) are simple, patchwork quilts of wool and polyester squares. The unexpected blasts of color are delightful. Those quilts were born of the frugality of the generation that would not waste a single scrap of fabric. Worn out dresses became quilts, aprons and potholders. My mother's specialization was traditional Hawaiian quilting which she learned from masters, but included only 100% cotton I suspect. Maybe some blends. Last, I have kept some of my mother's wild clothes from the 70s which include crazy, bold florals that I now adore. She made all of my clothes, polyester pantsuits with tunic length tops and belled legs. They were indestructible:-)

    I'm grateful to hear this segment. Thanks so much! And so, what did your mom want? Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete