Wednesday, March 18, 2015

21st Airing of the Quilts, Friday and Saturday

A rare, Revolutionary War period quilt will be on display
An artifact from the Revolutionary War period, a mid-19th century appliqué quilt with a million quilting stitches, a stunning, all-white stuffed work quilt with a large weeping willow tree, and a whimsical, green and white Prince's Feather; these quilts will be among several masterpieces from my collection on display Friday and Saturday, March 20th & 21st in the 21st Airing of the Quilts at the Milwaukie Center in Milwaukie, Oregon.

One of 25 blocks in the "quilt with a million stitches"  c. 1850, West Virginia
The theme is spring, and we will celebrate it with quilts that have botanical elements, made between 1760 and 1880. I wanted to "air" some nice, old quilts at this event, where I will be the featured guest speaker and exhibitor. We do not see quilts like these often in Oregon, so it is important to share them when possible.


Doors will be open from 9:00AM to 4:00PM both days. The event is free, but a $5 donation is suggested. Whenever I've gone in the past, I've just handed them a $10 or $20 and refused change. They deserve it, they've done a wonderful job!

I first attended the show maybe 14 years ago when one of my vintage 1930s quilts was on display. Since then, the show has taken over most of the building-- a credit to everyone who has been involved. There will be vendors, raffle quilts, and plenty of beautiful quilts in all directions, made and owned by members of our community. For more information, click here.

2 comments:

  1. That Revolutionary War quilt looks beautiful! I'd love to get out to see it, but I'm not sure if getting out to Milwaukee is in my future....

    ReplyDelete