Saturday, May 7, 2011

"Beauty Secrets" Catalog Underway


I'm off and running! The catalog for my upcoming exhibit, "Beauty Secrets: 150 Years of History in One Quilt Pattern" is underway, and so far, it's looking good. I'd started an earlier version of the catalog several months ago, but for some reason it didn't seem to be working. So I let it rest for a while. Since then, I've added a few more quilts to the collection, finalized the group that will be on display, and fine-tuned my ideas about what I'd like to include in the catalog.


The exhibit will resemble a quilt history timeline as seen through the evolution of one quilt pattern, from 1850 to today - so it's really more like 160 years of history. In the catalog, quilts will be presented in chronological order and grouped in small chapters, each with brief introductory text and pictures of the quilts. I've only been working on it for a day, but it's about 2/3 complete. In a way, I guess you could say I've been working on it for the last 22 years, ever since I bought my very first quilt.

Back cover.
So far, the project has been like a stroll down memory lane. Many of the quilts have graced the walls of my homes over the years, and it's truly remarkable how much I've learned since beginning research less than two years ago. "Beauty Secrets: 150 Years of History in One Quilt Pattern" will be on display at the Benton County Museum in Philomath, Oregon, from August 5th to October 1st, 2011. The 40-page, full-color printed catalog will be available at the museum, and online through Blurb.

4 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! keep us posted I would love to order one! I have really enjoyed reading about the additions to your collection recently as well as the ones you already own. YOu have made me look at NYB differently.

    thanks
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! Keep us posted!

    btw...do you have any NYB miniatures (15 x20 inches) in your collection? About 6 years ago they were really popular in my area. I can't remember the name of the instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make sure to keep everyone posted, here and through Facebook.

    Haven't seen any miniature New York Beauties, but if they're out there and available, I'll be looking for them. :)

    ReplyDelete