Tuesday, June 13, 2017

a quilt and three songs


When I first discovered this quilt, I gave it a nickname: Wild Thing. It reminded me of the Troggs song.


The quilt triggered two remarkable waves of collecting, 1970s quilts, and a few years later, Hawaiian scrap quilts. Now the quilt reminds me King Nawahi's "Honolulu Bound". In January, I traveled to Honolulu in search of more scrap quilts.


Today, the quilt also reminds me of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" from Michael Jackson's Thriller. 


"Yeeeeeeehaa!!"

Even though the song is really about rumors, it is also about being real. "If you're gonna be startin' somethin', you got to be startin' somethin'." Rumor has it, I've started somethin'!

IQSCM International Advisory Board Members visit my exhibition
Although "Wild Thing" is not part of my exhibition in Nebraska, I think of it as bonus content. These days, it hangs loose with the Hawaiian Scrap Quilt group, which is its own branch of the 1970s collection.

"Off the Grid, The Bill Volckening Collection" will be on display at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum through August 27th. For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment