Friday, May 4, 2018

Coming soon...more Hawaiian scrap quilts!


A few years ago, I learned about the distinct tradition of scrap quilts made in Hawaii and started collecting them. Along the way, I made friends with a vintage reseller in Honolulu who periodically lists scrap quilts. She notifies me every time she has any, since she knows I collect them. There are ten scrap quilts in the latest batch, and they will arrive here soon. Here's what they look like.











When I first started writing about the tradition of scrap quilts in Hawaii, I was struck by the exuberant use of color, particularly the juxtaposition of hot and cool colors. The quilts looked very Hawaiian, even though they did not look anything like traditional Hawaiian applique quilts. To read more about it, click here.

1 comment:

  1. What a great batch of quilts! You must be so excited to receive them :)

    ReplyDelete