Thursday, December 17, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

Mom and I in San Jose
Do you know the way to San Jose? In 2013, I exhibited quilts at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, and it was an extraordinary experience. My mother came from Maine and my sister came from Massachusetts. That was a big deal, since we live on opposite coasts and usually see each other just once a year at Christmas.


It was the first time one of my exhibitions brought the three of us together; also the first time my sister had seen my quilts on display. I was so happy to share what I was doing, but especially with my family. It was one of those proud family moments. 


The exhibition came at a point when things were really beginning to crystalize with the collection. Two years earlier, I exhibited a group of the quilts at the Benton County Museum in Philomath, Oregon. Then, there was a big article in Quilters Newsletter, and that's how San Jose found me. 


There were more than 40 objects in the exhibition, which focused on the history of the "New York Beauty" motif. The oldest quilts were from the Civil War period, and the most recent were made in the 21st century.


When I was preparing for the exhibition, Quiltmania came to visit my home in Portland, and I showed them the quilts. That was when they invited me to write a book. I'm still pinching myself. There wasn't much time to think about it, but after the exhibition, I was prepared to write that book.

Roderick Kiracofe, Bill Volckening, and Joe Cunningham
Many people came to the reception in San Jose. I met Yvonne Porcella, and had my picture taken with Roderick Kiracofe and Joe Cunningham. The shoes may have made me an inch taller, but I look up to them. To bring all these people and my family together made me happy. Now that I know the way to San Jose, I look forward to going back someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment