Saturday, June 7, 2014

17 down, 53 to go!


There's a method to this madness of writing a book. This month I'm writing descriptions of each quilt,  and I'm going in chronological order. So far I have done 17-- ten of those just yesterday. As I go through the quilts, I'm renaming the files and pictures and numbering them to keep them in order. I have little nicknames for each quilt, but those won't really do for the book.

A lot of the 19th century quilts are from unknown makers, and while we may recognize them today as New York Beauties, they weren't called that. A few folks tried to get me to assign so-called "earlier" pattern names to the quilts, but that was a terrible idea, so I ditched it. I'd much rather call something an 1860s pieced quilt than presume to know the intent of an unknown maker by assigning a pattern name with meaning.

Just the facts, Jack!

I'm having a lot of fun calculating the number of pieces in each quilt, and the number of quilting stitches, as I have mentioned previously. That's the kind of information you just can't make up. One of the rescue quilts had about 4,000 pieces, and another quilt had more than 250,000 quilting stitches. Before I started those calculations, the only numbers I had were price, estimated date and dimensions.

Ah well, back to work...I have another number to worry about...the deadline!

12 comments:

  1. Well, hurry, Bill! We all want to see that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All signs point to "ahead of schedule, and better than I ever imagined!"

      Delete
  2. I don't believe it's just the facts jack! You have this wonderful way of making something that seems so quaint and old fashioned come alive with the way you highlight specific patterns or stories behind the patchwork. A year ago I never cared about quilts, thinking how country and old they were. Since reason your blog I've come to appreciate the little details as well as the historical trends outside how difficult to care for quilts are. I really look forward to your book and all the great insight you provide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mathematical angle. Vicki Q.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something a little different for me, and a good thing to add to the repertoire. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you and I were doing the same thing today! Writing, writing, math, math, writing! Looking forward to seeing your book.... gotta go... I have a deadline fast approaching too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to seeing the finished book. Meanwhile, I do hope you have a very good backup drive for all those files -- the voice of someone with a bit of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going into the histories behind each quilt design? If so, that would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the quilts came from unknown makers, and they are all based on one design, known today as New York Beauty. There will be an essay about that design and its history with the quilts illustrating the life story of the design, but the individual quilt descriptions will be more like physical descriptions than histories since I can't present history that's unknown.

      Delete