Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thank you, Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum!

"Center Star" 2013
Some day I will get to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum. I was sorry I didn't make it during the MANifestations exhibit. The exhibit is over, and I would like to thank Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum (RMQM), the staff and volunteers, the esteemed juror, all of the participants, and everyone who visited the museum during the exhibit.

On a personal note, I was blown away by all the publicity my little quilt received. It was everywhere!

the invitation
the web site
on display (photo by Leslie Kuhlthau Maniotes)
on display (photo by Leslie Kuhlthau Maniotes) 
the gallery guide (photo by Leslie Kuhlthau Maniotes)

MANifestations was the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum's Twelfth Biennial Exhibit of Quilts Made By Men, juried by Bill Gardner, Editor in Chief of Quilters Newsletter. According to the museum's website, when they presented “Man Made,” the first exhibit of quilts made exclusively by men, in 1992, museum visitors were surprised to learn there were men who made quilts. The biennial showcase continues to be one of the museum's most anticipated and popular exhibits. I was proud to be part of it, and honored to be among such a wonderful group of artists. Kudos to everyone who was involved.

7 comments:

  1. I love these instances of breaking gender barriers! Congrats on being a part of the showcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun- especially as a novice. There were a lot of very talented and experienced quilt makers in the show. I was thrilled to be part of it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool that your work was there - maybe you can share the story behind one of your creation's inspiration and any tales of making it happen in a post in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here's where I talked about the inspiration: http://willywonkyquilts.blogspot.com/2013/02/center-star-quilted.html

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Bill! I didn't know you quilted. I guess there is always something new to learn everyday. You look like you are fairly good at it too. My Mother-in-Law quilts on a huge longarm machine. How are your quilts made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I make my quilts the same way most quilts are made, with a needle, thread, fabric and batting. :)

      Delete
  4. awesome, what a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete