Monday, March 31, 2014

Quiltmania #100 - Happy Anniversary!!


Quiltmania #100 is now available - Happy Anniversary, Quiltmania!! It's actually been out for a month, but I was only able to track it down yesterday. Worth the wait. They do such a wonderful job. There is a six-page feature I wrote, called "Collecting New York Beauty Quilts" - the same name as my exhibition last summer at San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles.

The magazine is published in French (pictured), English and Dutch
I opened the article with: "The New York Beauty quilt design did not originate in New York. That was the first thing I ever learned about the complicated patchwork pattern. It was 1989..."

From there, it was off to the races!

pieced quilt (later called New York Beauty),
unknown maker, c. 1850, Kentucky
The article includes seven quilts made between 1850 and 1940, as well as pictures of the Statue of Liberty and Chrysler Building, the two New York landmarks that became associated with the patchwork design around the Great Depression.


Those pictures of the New York landmarks are a shoutout to all the folks who have recently showed just how much they believed in what I was doing. How great it was to reward them with the news that I would be renewing my passport and brushing up on my French. Maybe they can come along, too. I'd really love them to see it!

What an amazing opportunity it is to work with Quiltmania. How could I blame people for being a little (well, ok - insanely) jealous? I do not take it for granted.

Mountain Mist New York Beauty, unknown maker, c. 1930, United States
So, pick up Quiltmania, issue #100, and read all about it. The book should be available early next year, in time for Pour l'Amour du Fil in Nantes. I can't wait!! 

6 comments:

  1. Love the orange quilt! Love the color orange. Congrats again on your collecting experience and being published in a French magazine. It's great to be spreading the word about our wonderful American-made, authentic, pieces of the past, in this case, antique quilts. Your efforts are to be applauded. As for those who may be jealous, as Marie Antoinette once said, (at least she is attributed for the remark): "Let them eat cake!" Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My note about New York may be for supporters, but if it applies to others, that's OK with me.

      :)

      It's always great hearing from friends, and I really do wish I could take a boatload of friends along.

      Delete
  2. I am insanely jealous!! Just kidding, Bill. I'm actually very happy for you and will definitely be on the lookout for this latest issue. Love that orange and yellow Mountain Mist version!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you, Dawn!! The Mountain Mist quilt is interesting because for years I saw them and didn't buy them because they weren't as old as I wanted. When Mary Bywater Cross helped me see the name came from that quilt, I had to have one. The rendition I found is as close to the pattern as any I have seen, including the one that was on the cover of QNM a while back.

      Delete
  3. Hey Bill...congrats on the article about American quilts in a French magazine. Will have to see if I can locate a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol Weber gets hers at the shop up in Garibaldi (I think it's Garibaldi). You can also get it online, so let me know if you can't find it.

      Delete