Monday, May 23, 2011

Beauty Secrets - Second Draft


I received first draft copies of the "Beauty Secrets" catalog on Friday, and worked through the weekend on revisions for the second draft. One of the biggest changes was with the book design. The softcover copy seemed like it needed more substance, so I decided to offer the book as a hardcover with dust jacket. The addition of the dust jacket required copy and photos to be placed on the flaps of the dust jacket (pictured above).


At this stage, one of the most useful tools I've found in the Blurb Book Smart program is the full book preview, which allows me to see thumbnails of the whole book together on one screen. This tool has helped me make some design decisions with the layout. I could see what was flowing, and what was not, and ultimately decided to reformat the layout on most of the text pages. The new layout includes large slices of each detail photo running along the sides of the pages.


This new design element serves as a visual cue for the introduction of each new topic in the story of the evolution of the pattern. It also allows readers to get a peek at an enlarged area of certain quilts, and the details are often enlightening. Picture quality is something I'm working on, as well, and seeing these images in print has given me a good idea about where I am and where I need to be.


After making several changes to the layout and substituting a few images with improved quality, I ordered another printed draft copy to review. Should be here in about a week. By the time I reach the third draft, I think I'll be satisfied. If all goes as planned, I anticipate making the catalog available shortly before the scheduled opening date of the exhibit at the Benton County Museum. The exhibit, "Beauty Secrets: 150 Years of History in One Quilt Pattern" will be on display at the Benton County Museum in Philomath, Oregon from August 5th to October 1st, 2011. 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the hard work with the catalog and your upcoming exhibit! It all looks very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope others find this rare slice of history as intriguing as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking really good. I particularly like the enlarged picture down the edge of the written page. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to buy several copies of this catalog...I just wrote a book on piecing New York Beauty quilts and am working on a follow up as we speak. Please get in contact with me - lawnquilt@aol.com
    Looking forward to hearing from you - Linda Hahn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific! Just stay posted with my blog, and I'll announce how to get the catalog as soon as it's ready. It has been a wonderful project, and I hope it inspires. I'll be in touch!

    ReplyDelete