Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oregon Quilt Project: Summit Scheduled, Dec. 5th, Eugene

The first OQP summit will focus on New York Beauties. 
The Oregon Quilt Project had a great summer, and we're looking forward to a productive year in 2011. We're scheduling events at the Oregon Garden in January, Mission Mill Museum in February, and with the Northwest Quilters in March. To brush up on our documentation skills and gather information for an upcoming show, I decided to schedule our first quilt summit. It is a one-day documentation event, December 5th in Eugene, Oregon, focusing on the "New York Beauty" quilts from my collection. 


The event will include Oregon Quilt Project core members and friends, and will be an opportunity to spend some quality time with a unique group of quilts, and with each other. Unlike most of our events, this day will not include any administrative tables, photography station, or appointments with members of the general public. It will be just exam tables and great volunteers studying the quilts, no deadlines, and hopefully a lot of fun.

The collection includes several best-of-kind examples.
This collection includes quilts and tops from 1850 to 2010, featuring several best-of-kind examples, unusual variations, and rescue quilts. These quilts will be part of my show at the Benton County Historical Museum in 2011.

Time span quilt, made around 1860, reworked around 1940.
So, I thought I'd share some pictures of a few of the quilts. I've collected these quilts over 20 years, and recently started studying and learning more about them. For nearly 20 years, I called them all New York Beauties, but name attribution has evolved into its own research project. 


Depending on the number of sign-ups, we may have room for a couple extra volunteers. If you're interested in learning more about the event or the Oregon Quilt Project, please send me a note.

One of the unusual examples of the pattern, in classic colors.

5 comments:

  1. If I was still living in the Northwest, I would have run for the opportunity. Once again, these quilts are breathtaking! # 4 and 5 still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific project, Bill!! Wish I could make it as I'd love to see them up close and personal! I'll have to wait for the museum exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was on the west coast...these quilts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These quilts are beautiful! I've been enjoying your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy these quilts, too. Sure you can tell. :)

    Good news: I'll be able to show some of these in Sisters at Quilter's Affair. It is before the show at Benton County Museum.

    ReplyDelete