Monday, February 22, 2016

something to talk about


As many of you already know, I missed QuiltCon. My heart said "no" to that idea, and told me to go to St. Vincent's Hospital, where I landed in the cath lab with an angiogram and a stent to open a blockage in my left anterior descending artery. Just six days before the big Five-Oh. Perfect!


There were needles, vials, plastic tubes, wires, IV bags, barf bags, plastic urinal jugs, pills, a bed that was way to small, and a machine that would start beeping every time I tried to roll into more comfortable position and crimped the tube. Not a happy camper.

When I look at this picture today, I think, "Oh, the poor night nurse!"
A no-show at QuiltCon, friends started sending messages asking where I was. I tried to let them know, but my phone battery was very low. I had appointments, coffee dates, dinner dates and lots of other plans to cancel. My friend Chris, who luckily was in town from Boulder visiting his family, came to the hospital with my laptop. He and I were together playing pinball when my symptoms started. As much as I hated to post what was going on, it would be the easiest way of getting the word out.


The last thing I meant to do was alarm everyone, but now I can appreciate how a selfie in a hospital bead and the words "heart attack" could seem alarming. When I first realized I needed to go to the hospital, I didn't collapse or lose consciousness at any point. I even drove to the hospital myself. I was more annoyed than anything, and sad to think I would miss QuiltCon. There were more than 200 replies to the Facebook post in the first hour. The morning nurse said she didn't even know that many people.


She was surprised when I told her what I did, and why all those people knew me. By the end of the day, more than five hundred replies streamed in from all around the world, just on that one post. What great medicine that was! I'm home now, recovering and following doctors' orders. Last year everyone was talking about the 1970s quilts. This year they were talking about why I wasn't there. Talk about giving them something to talk about!

24 comments:

  1. So glad that you are on the mend Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nurses are used to people not being at their best. Quiltcon is every year. A heart attack shouldn't be. Next year, maybe we'll all go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a way to hit 50! Now you know you have to take care of yourself a bit more....and I'm sure there were other reasons for folks to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you've heard this from the medical staff but you are a lucky man. You don't want a blockage in the LAD artery. Very glad you caught it early and I am sure you'll be good as new in a few months. Good luck with the rehab and get back to enjoying your quilt activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't ignore the symptoms and sought treatment. All the best to you during your recuperation.

    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your recuperation isn't too binding. I have to admit, I saw that photo of you in the hospital bed and I thought. . .hmmm wonder how that is working for him. . .meaning your length versus the bed length! You are a gem!--Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got this over with before your 50th! Happy happy birthday and happy leaving this behind...your 50s are going to rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speedy recovery. Glad they were able to put the stents in now. Take care. Hospital beds are made for little people! My son has been in the emergency room and hospital several times - he's 6'2" and his legs hang off the beds every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are recovering and feeling better. That's such a scary experience, and such a bummer to miss QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are recovering, Bill. That's such a scary thing to go through. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, what a scare. Please take care of yourself. Next year you need to have less drama and just gently glide on into the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your feeling better and had the knowledge to get to the hospital! Heal quick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better to miss Quilt-Con than to miss your life So glad you are alive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you are okay and recovering now. What a scary experience! And as others have said, you will have Quilt-Con next year. Please reach out if there is anything we locals can do to help during your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Recover please. I read your blog and love the quirkiness of all your quilts. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a bummer to miss QuiltCon. What a smart guy to get to the hospital! Know you will be changing other things in your life: diet and exercise wit this ditty. Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heartfelt best wishes in all ways! And of course you got that many responses on facebook, everyone loves you and no one wants to see you down much less out of luck for a big quilt show ;-) Continued recovery and good health in all ways!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy you are probably good for another 50 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That certainly was lousy timeing! Like you my first thought would have been to be pissed that I wasn't able to go to QuiltCon (had I been planning to go).

    Bad boy, driving yourself to the hospital. But glad all is well--at least it sounds that way. Not being on Instagram, and somehow missing FB post, I was surprised to hear the news via friends on the way to Latimer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Isn't it nice to know you are a part of people's lives. That picture is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Thank goodness you didn't ignore your symptoms. Four years ago I spent my birthday in the hospital and missed celebrating National Metal Day. I woke up with a pain in my gut and after a MRI I had to have surgery for a 5 pound mass in my abdomen! Thank goodness for modern medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. " ... I say a little prayer for you ..."

    ReplyDelete