Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Modernism in American Quilts

The Quilt Show #2409 with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims
Recently I appeared on The Quilt Show, episode #2409, talking with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims about modernism in antique and vintage American quilts.

a surprisingly modern design in an 1870s quilt
Modernism is the subject of my second book, "Modern Roots" (2016 C&T/Stash Books) - link.


When I look at old quilts, I see modernism. A lot of antique and vintage quilts do not seem as old as they really are. They look newer, more modern.

this quilt was made in the 1870s
The "surprisingly modern" aspect is one of the things that originally piqued my interest in quilts. If art history is the context for these quilts, as I feel it should be, they would be recognized as predecessors foreshadowing major movements in art history such as cubism and pop art.

1930s Mountain Mist "Jack 'O Lantern" quilt
These quilts are especially relevant today, given the popularity of "modern" quilting and its focus on aesthetics such as mid-century modern. It was nice to have the opportunity to share these quilts with Alex, Ricky and the whole Quilt Show audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment